Subtle Ways To Improve Your Appearance

Good morning everyone, today’s post is about the little things we can do to help with our appearances. I mean we all want to look and feel our best. While our appearance isn’t the most important thing in our lives, there’s no denying that it can have an impact on how we feel about ourselves and our overall enjoyment of the world. While you’ll never be able to change your genetics, there are things you can do that’ll nudge your appearance in the right direction. It’s all about making the most of the resources and knowledge that we can all access. In this post, we’ll take a look at some useful tips that’ll have you looking at your best before you know it.

DRESS FROM THE BOTTOM UP

When it comes to their outfits, most people focus on what’s going on with the top part of their body. After all, this is the area that people see the most, right? While a standout top will always do the trick, it’s more important to focus on what’s going on with the bottom half of your body. If your feet and legs are dressed well, then you’ll be onto a winner — it’s this area that makes the outfit. Think of it like a painting: the bottom half of your body is the frame that really lets the star of the show (the painting/your awesome top) shine brightly.

HEALTHY SKIN

If you want to look your best, then take care of your skin. We all know how much better we look when our skin is looking healthy and fresh, as opposed to tired and grey. While there is some genetics that comes into play when it comes to your skin, it’s one of the areas of your body that’s more in your control than you might think. Eating well, limiting the toxins that you consume, and avoiding things that damage the skin (such as overly hot showers and the sun) are all key. If you can work up a sweat and then take a cold shower, you’ll find that you’ve got healthy and alert skin all day.

IMPROVE POSTURE

Posture isn’t something that many people think about, but which all people should. In this day and age, when we’re all sitting down more than we should, a lot of us have posture problems and don’t even realise it. While you might not notice the effects in your physical well-being early on, at some point, you’ll begin to feel pain in your back and neck. But let’s just focus on the impact it has on your appearance for the time being. We all look better when we’re standing tall, there’s just no getting around it. Incorrect posture is easier to identify in photographs; do you have a hunched appearance? If so, take steps to correct things. There are some excellent YouTube yoga tutorials that can help you.

SALON-WORTHY HAIR

A haircut is not just a haircut. The quality can vary widely, depending on who’s cutting your hair. If it’s been a while since you’ve had a cut or just think your hair could be better, look at visiting a new salon. As with many things in life, it’s often worthwhile spending a little more on your hair than you would normally spend, since it can have such a big impact on your appearance.

CLOTHES AND ACCESSORIES

Dressing well plays a big role in looking your best. While it’ll take time to develop your sense of style, there’s one thing that you can always do: buy good clothing. There’s a temptation to buy the cheapest clothing available to us, but it’s nearly always worthwhile spending a little more to get a good item. It’ll help turn a ‘good outfit’ into a ‘great outfit.’ As well as your clothes, think about your accessories. If you wear glasses, then get a pair that’s more fashionable as well as functional; https://www.eyeglasses.com/ has a large collection of stylish frames to choose from. You’ll find that as well as helping you to see, your glasses can be an awesome fashion accessory too!

WALKING WITH SMILES AND CONFIDENCE

Finally, remember the number one rule for looking great: having confidence! Walking confidently and with a smile really does make a difference. Without it, you’re never fully dressed. Of course, confidence is something that can be annoyingly elusive, but there are things you can do to help. Perhaps the most important aspect is to figure out what could be holding your confidence back in the first place. Once you’ve replaced them with more positive actions, you’ll find that your confidence is sky-high.

What are the little things you do to improve your appearance? Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Do let me know by leaving a comment below.

Take care and Stay Safe everyone!

1. July 11, 2020 / 10:37 am

I love this! I think the most important tip here is one that so many hardly ever think of. Posture! Stand up straight, and you’ll immediately improve your appearance. You’ll look more confident, your clothes will fit better, and it boosts your self-confidence.

• Lovely

Author
      July 27, 2020 / 10:20 am

Thanks Kathrine.

xoxo
      Lovely

2. July 11, 2020 / 1:43 pm

I have never heard of dressing from the bottom up before! I once knew a girl who believed in building her outfit around one piece to subtly improve her appearance. For me, I always make sure I have some accessory on. Whether that be a quick necklace or a ring, it does amplify your look a few notches, and give the appearance that you made an effort.

xoxo Amanda | theaestheticedge.com

3. Bright snow Loveland
    July 11, 2020 / 2:16 pm

I totally agree with ur ideas. Appearance counts a lot and we have to be very particular about it. Thanks .

4. July 11, 2020 / 2:19 pm

I love all of this! And I love that most of it centers around how we feel and not how to make our body perfect. We are more our personality than our body!

5. Steven Morrissette
    July 11, 2020 / 3:04 pm

1. Your post was super interesting. Especially the part about our posture I can’t agree more posture is very important. It’s beneficial for your breathing to have a good posture. Furthermore smiling is a must. I try to smile at people I meet everywhere I go.

6. July 11, 2020 / 3:39 pm

I think developing a self-confidence by really focusing on your relationship with yourself goes a long way. We shine brighter when we do what works for us, and that all stems from self-love (in my opinion). From there, dressing in a way you enjoy, wearing your hair and makeup (if you want) however you like and so on all falls into place. Creating your personal style and feeling confident in your skin can all stem from a self-loving place.

7. July 11, 2020 / 4:58 pm

I absolutely agree with all that you wrote. Healthy skin and hair are so important, they are what most people notice first. It is really important to take care of our health not just for our appearance but for our general energy levels as well. Clean living is key for me. I try to exercise and eat healthy.
    I also love what you said about shoes- they can make such a difference. Quality shoes also help with good posture- and posture is so important.
    Finally, I just love your outfit. You look amazing in this dress.

8. July 11, 2020 / 6:34 pm

you look incredible!! i totally agree that standing and walking with confidence makes such a difference. i need to get better at my posture.

9. July 11, 2020 / 6:35 pm

I like the idea of dressing from bottom up… you are right, shoes and accessories are often the last thing I think of.

10. July 12, 2020 / 4:06 am

Really enjoyed this post! And as always, you’re looking so runway-ready! I totally agree with your first point about tending to focus on what I wear on top opposed to bottoms, so lately I’ve been trying to step it up and buy more interesting pants/skirts.

By Rocio V

11. Ronnie
    July 12, 2020 / 7:43 am

Posture makes a huge difference in how we are perceived and feel. When I don’t sit and stand straight, it makes me feel lazy, tired and unattractive. Standing straight helps me feel and look confident and ready to take on the day!

12. July 12, 2020 / 2:52 pm

There are all such great tips! I think posture is one that I need to work on, I feel like i’m always slouching from spending too much time in front of the computer! Also you look absolutely stunning in this dress!

Cheers,
    Eileen | yesmissy.com

13. July 12, 2020 / 3:30 pm

I really need to work on my posture. Mine is terrible, and I know it would make such a difference to my appearance but also my health – I get such bad shoulder/back pain! xo

Makeup Muddle

14. July 12, 2020 / 5:20 pm

A very useful and interesting post.
    Thanks for sharing

15. July 12, 2020 / 6:28 pm

I really like the tips you have shared here. I like to do most of these but maintaining salon styled hair always becomes a big task. And might I say, you have a lovely name!

16. July 12, 2020 / 6:52 pm

This are so great tips! Sometimes I find myself not thinking that much about my posture or even my skincare routine so this is a great reminder. Love reading it!

17. July 12, 2020 / 9:12 pm

Such a beautiful dress! I agree, the right accessories can really make a difference in an outfit! 🙂

Hope you have been having a great weekend 🙂

• Lovely
      Author
      July 27, 2020 / 10:21 am

Thank you Mica.

xoxo
      Lovely

18. July 12, 2020 / 10:44 pm

This is such a fun post! Our appearances really do affect the way we feel about ourselves. For me, my clothes and makeup are definitely a form of self expression. I have really realized how important dressing up for myself is during quarantine. I definitely feel less me wearing sweatpants and leggings all the time :/

Jill

19. Regine Karpel
    July 13, 2020 / 1:50 am

Beautiful.

20. July 13, 2020 / 1:56 am

I think good outfits make us improved! Also, a salon worthy hair!

21. July 13, 2020 / 8:27 am

You look incredible here Lovely! That big belt is the showstopper! I would never have thought to dress from the bottom up first! You have such good tips, I love them! A smile and confidence are so important plus they cost nothing! xx
    Janet

22. July 13, 2020 / 8:59 am

This is such an interesting post; and I love all the tips! Will be following these – I need to work on my posture too, haha!

Paige // Paige Eades

23. July 13, 2020 / 12:21 pm

Oh wow so many great tips here.
    I never thought about focusing first on the bottom. And I couldn’t agree more a smile always does the difference.
    and I love your outfit here. Your coat is stunning.
    xx
    Margot

24. July 13, 2020 / 1:40 pm

Oh I definitely thing that making sure that you have healthy skin is essential when trying to up your appearance plus the better skin, the less makeup you’ll have to wear!

-Didier

25. July 13, 2020 / 4:29 pm

I agree with all these! Especially posture, it’s so important, but often overlooked. I remember seeing a candid shot taken of me before and was shocked to see how bad my posture was when relaxed!

26. July 13, 2020 / 5:35 pm

Ah yes indeed, all wonderful advice and tips here. And in particular being lit from within. A healthy diet and healthy skin is key!

Allie of

27. July 14, 2020 / 12:13 am

great tips! I need to improve my posture. And your outfit is amazing.

28. July 14, 2020 / 5:39 pm

Im a believer in shoes making the outfit so always a good place to start! x ~Zia
    thehuntercollector.com